The Combermere Lodge and its members are proud to have become a sponsor of the Magical Getaway Foundation (MGF), who is pioneering Social Tourism. The MGF specialises in providing ‘First Ever Holidays for Aussie Kids.’
The Magical Getaway Foundation (MGF) is the only national charity dedicated to social tourism.
Social tourism, which has been operating in the UK and Europe for over sixty years, seeks to help vulnerable or disadvantaged groups who normally wouldn’t be able to benefit from tourism opportunities.
We define it as providing equitable access to breaks away from home, for people who would otherwise be excluded.
The reasons for exclusion are often about circumstances that life has brought, like:
- Children being born who require ongoing medical assistance.
- Losing a job.
- Falling in love, only then to experience horrific domestic violence.
- Being injured at work or involved in a car accident.
So how does social tourism or going on a holiday create positive change for both the
individual and society?
Holidays benefit individuals, as well as the wider society, because they:
- Improve well-being and reduce stress.
- Increase self-esteem and confidence.
- Strengthen family communication and bonding.
- Provide new skills, widen perspectives and enhance employability.
- Give long-lasting, treasured memories.
- Result in happier, stronger families and a more inclusive society.
- Increase community participation and decrease social isolation.
Going on a holiday or taking a break is therefore critically important for everyone.
As 1 in 3 Australian children have never been on a holiday, we are committed and dedicated to help as many children as possible experience the magic and benefits of social tourism or a first ever holiday. https://magicalgetawayfoundation.org/
The Freemasons of the Combermere Lodge No. 752, the only English Constitution Lodge in the State of Victoria, has taken this worthy charitable cause to its heart.